In the interests of trying to have a life and reconnect with my friends – I’m frocking up for a cocktail party at a friend’s house this weekend.
For the past few years I’ve turned down almost every offer of a night out, blaming it on the kids.
And so of course the invitations out have pretty much shrivelled up and died.
People will stop asking you to go out if you never take them up on it – thankfully this friend hasn’t because she knows the roller coaster ride my life has been since having my third.
I’m pretty excited about it and I’d like to say that I’ll just sip my mojito, pina colada or marguarita, but I’d be lying – and that’s not how I roll.
In fact I’ll probably offer to help the host make the cocktails just so I can get close to the action.
Since I no longer fit my pre-baby clothes and I am too small for my post-baby clothes – I had to find a dress to wear.
Shopping used to be fun when I was young, slim and had disposable income – now it’s worse than having two screaming toddlers hanging off you at the computer (like right now).
I also had to get new shoes because I can’t wear thongs, and since having kids I’ve gone from a size 10 to 11 – totally bizzaro right?
Have a laugh at my dressing room shenanigans.
Here’s a list of things I know:
* I’ll only be able to ‘own’ the pink number by wearing my faithful sucky-in knickers. For those of you who haven’t discovered these beige beauties, don’t knock em’ – just imagine not having to think about holding in your tummy and front bum all night. SCORE.
* Those cheap-shit shoes will give me blisters and will stay on for a maximum of 1.5 hours, or until I’m drunk enough to over share and tell the entire party that I haven’t worn heals since I had 3 kids in 3.5 years, yadda yadda yadda yawn.
* I’m packing two fast-working headache pills for Sunday morning – yep I’m sleeping over. I know right lucky me – but you know I’m going to be in massive husband debt – and payment options are limited these days.
* That no matter what I think about my appearance – I won’t look as bad as I did in this photo – flashing back to the early 1990s.
* I’m bound to say something I shouldn’t and/or dance Gangnam style – but I won’t remember it until a few weeks later.
* On Sunday I will say to the Husband that I’m never drinking again and the kids will be ultra feral and loud.
I also have some advice to those of you who are staying at home unnecessarily like I was – escape your four walls and go out at night once in a while!
Walk to the shops, have dinner with friends, or just go somewhere by yourself for a $7 coffee/cake.
It’s so easy to stay in your sloppy pants, pour a glass of wine and miserably watch TV and moan about your lot – this was me for WAY too long.
But this year – the Year of the Snake – I’m shedding my old skin and taking up most offers that come my way.
Because meeting new people or reconnecting with old friends is fantastic for the soul.
Are you saying no too much to social invitations? Why? Is it because you were like me and were too tired or felt too self conscious? Any tips for someone who hasn’t been out in ages and is going to be in a room with 10 people she doesn’t know very well?
This Friday I’m linking with some awesome peeps!
Grace for FYBF
Miss Cinders for Things I Know
Cathy for Flashback Friday
And Bree for Flash Blog Friday
Thanks lovely ladies 🙂